Man Utd Fan CLub

Thursday 21 July 2011

Sir Alex Happy with Rooney Treble

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was happy to see Wayne Rooney get among the goals in the 7-0 thrashing of Seattle Sounders on the club's tour match in the United States.


Rooney, who only came on as a half-time substitute, plundered three second half goals in the runaway victory, and Ferguson said afterwards: "It is nice he scored. We are pleased for all the goalscorers but three goals is a nice start for him. He has worked hard. He has done really well in training.''
Michael Owen, Mame Biram Diouf, Park Ji-sung and Gabriel Obertan also found the net and Ferguson wants to see a similar spread of firepower across the season as a whole.
"Last year we depended on three players for our goals, so that was good tonight,'' he said.
Goalkeepers Anders Lindegaard and Ben Amos both performed well during the friendly, but David de Gea will be between the sticks against Chicago at the weekend.
"Obviously we have signed David de Gea as the main choice I would imagine,'' Ferguson said, "but Anders Lindegaard and Ben Amos have probably said to themselves they have an opportunity with Van der Sar retiring. It is an open door for me.
"De Gea will play on Saturday against Chicago but they will all get their fair share of games and the decision on who starts the season will depend on how De Gea settles.''
Ashley Young said: "I am just delighted to be here and get myself on the pitch. No disrespect for the Villa boys but as soon as I heard of Manchester United's interest, I just wanted to get the deal done and start training.
"I can play left, right, off the front striker or as a main striker, so I just have to concentrate on my own game and wherever I am picked, do myself justice.
"The manager bought me for a reason, to get assists and goals and work hard for the team. If I can do that every time I am selected, my job is done.
"This is fantastic for me. You come to the United States and see the number of fans outside the hotel every day. It is crazy and just shows how big the club is. For me to be part of that is fantastic.''
Diouf, thought to be on the wanted list of Blackpool manager Ian Holloway, said: "I never heard anything about that. I am here. People are just saying things. I have to know before anyone else. It is not a big deal.
"I am confident I can play at Manchester United. Why not? You always have to think positively. You always have to do your best. I spent last season at Blackburn, which was a good experience for me. It helped me play some games in the Premier League. Now I am ready.
"The competition is really hard and I know I will have to take my chances. We will see what is going to happen but I want to stay. I have to show the manager why that should happen.''

No comments:

Post a Comment