Man Utd Fan CLub

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Berbatov: I'm Happy at United

Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov says that he loves being at the club, despite slipping down the pecking order this season.


Berbatov, 30, finished last season as United's top scorer, but was not in the squad for the Champions League final against Barcelona and has found himself marginalised again this campaign as he has been benched with Javier Hernandez and Wayne Rooney, and even young Danny Welbeck, given chances ahead of him.
The Bulgarian has been linked with a £12 million move to Valencia or Paris St-Germain in January, but has revealed that he is perfectly happy to stay at Old Trafford and continue to add to his trophy collection.
"I'm happy here," Berbatov told MUTV. "My family is together in Manchester. I hear people complain about the weather, there's nothing to do and the food. But, for me, it's not like that. I play for a club I love, the biggest club, and everything else doesn't matter."
Berbatov starred for Spurs before joining United in a £30.75 million deal on the final day of the 2008 summer transfer window and he says that he could not have turned down the chance of playing for the club.
He added: "He [agent Emil Danchev] called me to say we have interest from Manchester United. I said, 'Don't joke with me,' but he said he was serious. So I was speechless. When the biggest club contacts you, it's a big deal for me coming from a small country like Bulgaria.
"My mind was always set on joining Manchester United. How can you not go to United? I don't play for money. I play for glory and winning championships."
Meanwhile, Bulgaria captain Stilian Petrov broke his four-and-a-half year media silence on Tuesday to urge Berbatov to consider returning to the national team.
"I must take the initiative to stand in front of you as captain and express my opinion," said Petrov. ''I hope he (Berbatov) will come back because we have many young strikers in the team who will develop if he plays with them ... Of course, I'm ready to talk to him again."
Berbatov, Bulgaria's all-time leading scorer with 48 goals, quit international football last year citing fatigue and family commitments, but Petrov wants to see him back in the shirt.
"I'll be the happiest man if I see Berbatov wearing the national team's shirt because he's our most talented player," added Petrov. "Yes, he (Berbatov) was criticised for his style of play but we just can't afford to deprive the team of our greatest talent. Bulgaria need a player like him."

No comments:

Post a Comment