Man Utd Fan CLub

Monday 2 July 2012

Rafael Extends United Stay

Manchester United defender Rafael da Silva has signed a new four-year contract that will keep him at Old Trafford until the end of the 2015-16 season.

Rafael, 21, joined United from Fluminense with twin brother Fabio in 2008, and has since earned international recognition with Brazil.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson told manutd.com: "Rafael is one of the club's brightest young prospects; he has no fear of playing and has great belief in himself.

"The boy has developed immensely since joining United, his energy and enthusiasm are a joy to watch. Rafael has all the attributes to become one of the best full-backs in the world and I am delighted he has signed a new contract."

Rafael made 18 appearances for United last season in the Community Shield, Premier League, Carling Cup, FA Cup and Europa League.

The full-back said: "I am so happy to sign a new contract. I love playing for Manchester United, there is a great team spirit here and a real desire to win.

"My time here has been unbelievable; winning two league titles, a league cup and a Club World Cup has made me hungry for more trophies. I would like to thank Sir Alex for his belief in me and I would also like to thank the fans for their support."

No comments:

Post a Comment