Man Utd Fan CLub

Sunday 27 March 2011

Nani: Fergie Limits My Freedom

Manchester United winger Nani has revealed he is playing within his abilities because manager Sir Alex Ferguson restricts his "freedom" on the pitch. Portuguese trickster Nani has been, perhaps unfairly, living in the shadow of former United star Cristiano Ronaldo during his time at Old Trafford, but this season he has gone some way to filling his countryman's boots by translating his undoubted ability into goals and assists.

But Nani said he has sacrificed some of his personal joy for the game and put a limit on the amount of tricks he executes on the pitch in the pursuit of increased effectiveness. "I try to enjoy playing now, but it is not always possible because I have a responsibility to the team," Nani told Spain's Don Balón. "But something of the street remains in me. It is not easy to show at United because Sir Alex does not allow very much freedom and I cannot do the tricks and things I did with my friends."

Nani presumably refers to the sort of expressive wing play that could humiliate opponents but risks giving the ball away. He hinted that Ferguson is more relaxed about his star winger trying the spectacular against weaker opposition when United have the lion's share of possession. "When the game is under control I take a risk and it makes me very happy if things work out."

No comments:

Post a Comment