Man Utd Fan CLub

Thursday 27 March 2008

Rio Delight at England Armband


Rio Ferdinand will lead England out against France in Paris on Wednesday night a very proud man.
The 29-year-old United defender is the latest player (after Steven Gerrard) to be chosen to skipper his country as new England manager Fabio Capello attempts to find the right man for the job ahead of this year's World Cup qualifiers.
Many had expected Chelsea skipper John Terry to be given the armband for the Stade de France friendly. But Ferdinand, who has captained United in the absence of Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville, will earn his 66th England cap as the team's leader.
"As a kid I grew up wanting to play for England and to lead my country. Now I have been given the honour to fulfil that dream, so I am very happy," says Rio.
"I have done it for United in the past, I lead by example and if something needs to be said I'm not afraid to say it, it is just a matter of going out there and doing what I do for Manchester United and bring it up to international level."
Ferdinand says he will take inspiration from one of Old Trafford's greatest leaders of recent times.
"Roy Keane was a fantastic captain," he said at a press conference on Tuesday evening. "He led by example and got marks of seven, eight or nine out of 10 every game.
"If questions need to be answered, he was normally the first to do it. He was a great captain and symbolic of Manchester United. Now for me to get the captaincy for my country is a dream come true and this is the biggest honour I've ever had."

No comments:

Post a Comment